Traveling to Mexico for the Holidays– What you need to know

Whenever you are traveling back to Mexico, the Mexican Government encourages you to check in with a local embassy or consulate office before traveling to ensure that you have the most up-to-date information. Due to the recent rise in crime in some areas of Mexico, many governments have issued travel warnings for all citizens traveling to U.S.-Mexican border cities to ensure everyone’s safety.

If you are driving

If you plan on driving to Mexico, you will be able to temporarily import your car for a maximum of 180 days. You will be able to obtain and fill out the appropriate paperwork at a Customs Vehicle Control Module located at the U.S.-Mexican Border. You will need the following items:

  • An immigration form.
  • A vehicle registration document that certifies the legal ownership of the vehicle, original or photocopy.
  • A valid drivers license, original or photocopy.
  • A credit card issued outside of Mexico (American Express, Master Card, Visa, or Diner’s).
  • A declaration form to take the vehicle out of Mexico that will be provided by the customs officer at the border. You will need to return this form at the Mexican Customs Office upon return to the U.S.

Please be advised that the credit card used and all documents provided must be in the name of the vehicle owner. The vehicle owner must also be present and in the vehicle when it enters Mexico. You must have insurance that covers your vehicle while in Mexico, as it is mandatory to have insurance in the country.

You are also able to obtain a temporary vehicle permit at a Mexican consulate location in the following California cities: Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Francisco and San Bernardino. The permits can be purchased at consulate offices up to six months prior to your travel to Mexico and you may choose the date that your permit will go into effect.