Staying Safe While Seeking Immigration Advice

Understanding immigration issues is very confusing for most people, especially when the required forms and information are not written in one’s native language. When seeking advice about immigration concerns, make sure to only rely on an authorized person for help. Only an attorney or a Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA)-accredited representative should give you legal advice.Community bulletin boards, radio, newspapers, and the internet sometimes run advertisements offering help for immigration. However, a lot of these groups and/or people might not be certified to help, or are not real attorneys.

The wrong information can be harmful and could possibly delay an application status, cost unnecessary fees, or could even lead to deportation. “Notarios,” immigration consultants and businesses should also not give legal advice on immigration. In many other countries, the word “notario” means that the individual is an attorney, but that is not true in the United States. Corrupt notarios may charge a lot of money for help that they never provide. Often, victims can lose their opportunities to pursue immigration relief forever because a notario has damaged their case. To keep people safe from scams, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services have created a special webpage at

Agricultural Jobs available to U.S. workers under H-2A contract

You may apply for these jobs by phone or in person at your nearest Employment Development Department (EDD) field office

The H-2A temporary agricultural program allows agricultural employers who anticipate a shortage of domestic workers to bring nonimmigrant foreign workers to the U.S. to perform agricultural labor or services of a temporary or seasonal nature. The H-2A employers must demonstrate that qualified U.S. workers are not available for the job and the employment of temporary foreign workers will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of U.S. workers similarly employed. Preference in hiring will be given to qualified U.S. workers before employers are allowed to bring in foreign workers under the program.

A List of Helpful Government Services and Phone Numbers

Unemployment Insurance:
English: 1-800-300-5616

Seguro de Desempleo:
En Español: 1-800-326-8937

Disability Insurance:
English: 1-800-480-3287

Seguro de Incapacidad Estatal:
En Español: 1-866-924-9757

Paid Family Leave:
English: 1-877-238-4373

Programa Familiar Pagado:
En Español: 1-877-379-3819

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Servicio de Ciudadanía e Inmigración de Estados Unidos

National Customer Service Center (NCSC):
1-800-375-5283 (English/ En Español Hotline)
1-800-767-1833 (TDD for the hearing impaired)
United States Social Security Administration

Administracion del Seguro Social
English/En Español Hotline: 1-800-772-1213

If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Monday through Friday

National Domestic Violence Hotline
Línea Nacional Sobre la Violación Doméstica

English/En Español Hotline:
1?800?799?SAFE (7233) or TTY 1?800?787?3224.
Help is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

CalFresh Program:

U.S. Department of Labor:
(866) 4-USA-DOL

Occupational Safety and Health
Administration (OSHA)
800-321-OSHA (6742)