H-2A Visa Program for Agricultural Employers

The H-2A temporary agricultural Visa program is a federal program administered by the Department of Labor (DOL) Employment and Training Administration (ETA). The H-2A program establishes a means for agricultural employers who anticipate a shortage of domestic workers to bring nonimmigrant foreign workers to the U.S. to perform agricultural labor or services of a temporary nature.

Employers anticipating a shortage of agricultural workers must apply with the Employment Development Department (EDD) at least 60-75 days before the date the job begins. The employer must also file an application with the Department stating that there are not sufficient workers who are U.S. citizens who are able, willing, qualified, and available and that the employment of aliens will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers.

Individuals interested in an H-2A job can go to their local EDD employment office and ask to speak to an EDD H-2A Specialist. The H-2A Specialist will provide all information about any local H-2A jobs as well as any H-2A jobs throughout the U.S. Individuals will be asked to register for work with the EDD and present information about their work history and authorization to work in the U.S.

If you don’t know where your local EDD service office is located, you may find it in your local telephone directory or visit the EDD website at www.edd.ca.gov Individuals may also access the State’s employment website at: www.caljobs.ca.gov to view all H-2A jobs in California and the DOL’s website at: icert.doleta.govv to view all H-2A jobs throughout the U.S.