Applying to College

If your student is entering their senior year of high school, it isimportant to note that college applications are due in the Fall. It does cost money to submit a college application, however you may qualify for an application fee waiver if you meet economic eligibility requirements.The cost of education should not keep your student from applying for higher education.

In January, the Free Application forFederal Student Aid (FASFA) opens its application. It is important to submit your application as soon as possible to increase your chances of receiving aid for school. A FASFA application must be submitted every year. If you are a US Citizen or “eligible noncitizen” you can apply to receive federal education aid by applying to FASFA at You are considered an “eligible noncitizen” if you are a U.S. national, a U.S. permanent resident with a Form I-551(C) or I-151, hold a T-visa, are a batter immigrant-qualified alien, or if you have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services showing; “Refugee,”“Asylum Granted,” “Conditional Entrant,”or “Parolee”. A parent/guardian’s status does not affect a student’s eligibility for federal student aid.

Before entering information into the FASFA webpage check to make sure that you are visiting the “” website. There are fraudulent websites with similar web addresses. FASFA applications are completely free. If you are enteringin your credit card information the site is mostly likely a scam.

If you do not meet FASFA eligibilityrequirements you can receive financialaid other ways. Check with your country’sembassy or a consulate here in theU.S. or with the appropriate governmentoffice back in your country to seeif and how they can assist you. You can also apply to scholarships. The U.S. Department of Labor offers a free online scholarship search. Also, reach out to the college or career school you plan to attend and find out whether or not they offer any independent aid to non-U.S.citizen students.